ATON is a framework based on node.js developed by B. Fanini (VHLab, CNR ISPC – ex ITABC) to create Web3D apps (presenters, applied games, tools, etc…) interacting with CH objects and 3D scenes on the Web. It adopts a “develop once, deploy everywhere” approach, without requiring any installation for final users, with its front-end automatically adapting to the device (mobile, desktop/kiosk or immersive VR). Such modular framework offers a simple but powerful API to manipulate scene-graphs, easy customization of event handling for rich interactions and a scalable rendering system with responsive interfaces. Advanced functionalities like complex rendering of 3D objects and virtual environments, camera (POV) management, real-time collaborative features, visual/immersive analytics and integration with complex multimedia content are just a few examples of what can be achieved with this open-source (GPL v3) framework developed by CNR ISPC.
If you are looking for the old ATON (version 1.0) it’s here.
- Responsive, adaptive and scalable presentation of interactive 3D content (mobile, desktop/kiosks, immersive VR)
- Complex scene-graph manipulation and support for hierarchical culling, instancing, node composition and cascading transformations
- Immersive VR (WebVR/XR) and (multi)-touch devices interfaces
- Shape Descriptors for 3D semantic queries and annotations with customizable events
- Event-driven API
- Scalable deployment, from low-cost SBCs (e.g. Raspberry Pi) to large infrastructures
- Multi-temporal (4D) visualization
- Real-time collaborative multi-user features (VRoadcast module)
- Paged multi-resolution
- Advanced multi-texturing, PBR features and shader customization
- Camera/POV transitions, custom POV handling and navigation constraints
- Dynamic and customizable recommendation systems
- Spherical panoramas and IBL
Projects using ATON
Online 3D puzzle aimed at re-contextualization and gamification of drawings of Beit el Wali nubian temple. The web-app is being developed within B.A.C.K. TO T.H.E. F.U.T.U.RE project, in collaboration with DAD (Dept. of Architecture and Design) of the Turin Polytechnic.
Interactive 4D visualization and interrogation tool for Extended Matrices being developed under SSHOC european project.
Scalable web-based infrastructure (in collaboration with DigiLab Sapienza) for augmentation, dissemination and interactive VR presentation of museums collections with responsive, cross-device VR visualization over local networks. The infrastructure has been deployed in the Capitoline Museum in Rome.
Landscape Services (2016)
A set of responsive, cloud-based services to process and present multi-resolution landscapes online, developed for the ARIADNE european infrastructure.
(old ATON version)
Calore Valley / Valle del Calore (2016)
Online Virtual Museum
(old ATON version)
Interactive exploration of expo setup inside official website of ArcheoVirtual.
(old ATON version)
- B. Fanini, L. Cinque (2020) Encoding, Exchange and Manipulation of Captured Immersive VR Sessions for Learning Environments: the PRISMIN Framework. Applied Sciences 2020, 10, 2026. Special Issue “Emerging Artificial Intelligence (AI) Technologies for Learning”
- M. Lo Turco, P. Piumatti, M. Calvano, E. C. Giovannini, N. Mafrici, A. Tomalini, B. Fanini (2020). Interactive Digital Environments for Cultural Heritage and Museums. Building a digital ecosystem to display hidden collections. DISEGNARECON – ISSN 1828 5961
- B. Fanini & L. Cinque (2019). Encoding immersive sessions for online, interactive VR analytics. Virtual Reality, 1-16.
- B. Fanini, S. Pescarin & A. Palombini (2019). A cloud-based architecture for processing and dissemination of 3D landscapes online. Digital Applications in Archaeology and Cultural Heritage, e00100.
- B. Fanini & L. Cinque (2019, July). An Image-Based Encoding to Record and Track Immersive VR Sessions. In International Conference on Computational Science and Its Applications (pp. 299-310). Springer, Cham.
- S.G. Barsanti, S.G. Malatesta, F. Lella, B. Fanini, F. Sala, E. Dodero & L. Petacco (2018). The Winckelmann300 Project: Dissemination of Culture with Virtual Reality at the Capitoline Museum in Rome. International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing & Spatial Information Sciences, 42(2).
- A. Palombini, B. Fanini, A. Pagano (2018). The Virtual Museum of the Upper Calore Valley. In International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Digital Environments for Education, Arts and Heritage (pp. 726-736). Springer, Cham.
- B. Fanini & L. Cinque (2018). Encoding VR sessions: image-based techniques to record and inspect immersive experiences. In 2018 3rd Digital Heritage International Congress (Digital Heritage) held jointly with 2018 24th International Conference on Virtual Systems & Multimedia (VSMM 2018) (pp. 1-8). IEEE.
- C. Meghini, R. Scopigno, J. Richards, B. Fanini, H. Wright, G. Geser, S. Cuy et al. (2017). ARIADNE: a research infrastructure for archaeology. Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage (JOCCH), 10(3), 18.
- H.S. Hollander, N. Aloia, C. Binding, S. Cuy, M. Doerr, B. Fanini, C. Meghini et al. (2017). Enabling European Archaeological Research: The ARIADNE E-Infrastructure. Internet Archaeology, 17(43).
- A. Antal, E. Bota, E. Demetrescu, C. Ciongradi, B. Fanini, E. d’Annibale, C. Dima and D. Ferdani (2016). A complete workflow from the data collection on the field to the deployment of a Virtual Museum: the case of Virtual Sarmizegetusa. Eurographics Workshop on Graphics and Cultural Heritage
News and development
Stay updated about new features and progress using the ATON tag